Petition to the House of Commons in Parliament assembledFor Atheists (Non-believer) refugees
Updated: Jan 16, 2022
Petition to the House of Commons in Parliament assembledFor Atheists (Non-believer) refugees to be included in the list of people eligible for any special refugee status
· Non-believers are persecuted in several countries, both by government and the public,
· Persecution of non-believers can result in serious injury, imprisonment, or death at the hands of family members, street mobs, or governments,
· Some countries, including Saudi Arabia, wrongly label all non-believers as terrorists and this alone should not disqualify them for refugee status,
· The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled several times that Section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the right to freedom from religion as much as the right to freedom of religion, a standard which Canada should apply to refugees as well as citizens; and
· Non-believing refugee claimants for refugee status through the Less Complex Claims policy would be qualified by such international organizations as Humanists International, and Atheist Alliance International, both of which have Special Consultative Status at the United Nations, and Participatory Status at the Council of Europe.
We, the undersigned, citizens, or residents of Canada, call upon the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship to clarify the status of the Less Complex Claims policy, and to ensure that non-believers are included in the list of people eligible for any special refugee status so that they will be treated equally with those people belonging to the religions which are listed in the Less Complex Claims policy.